Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Birthday Card To My Wife


We’ve all seen them and we’ve all gotten them.

You know.  It’s your wife’s birthday.  You need to buy a card.  You go to the card store and there they are:  all the cards saying how stupid we are, how we don’t pick up after ourselves, how we can barely tie our shoe laces and thank the Lord that we have a wonderful spouse.

But this year, I was determined not to buy one of those cards.  And I was not going to get a mushy card either.

Nope.  Instead, I wanted to write a card for my wife's birthday.  And guess what?  Saturday is my wife’s birthday.  So here is my card to her:

Cathy,

Do you remember our first date?  We went to that really dive Mexican place on Comm Ave, that would make all the dives on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives seem romantic.  But we had decent food, the drinks were good, the conversation was great, and it was a wonderful evening even though my car got towed.  And since then, it has been one adventure after another.  And I have loved every second of it.

I love the way you make me laugh every single day.  They say your life lasts longer the more you laugh, so I fully expect to live until I’m 110.

I love spending time with you even if we are not saying anything, like when we just hang out and read.  Just knowing you are there brings me all the comfort I need.

I love the way you take care of me.  From making sure my clothes don’t clash, to making sure I have my keys before I walk Suzie in the morning.

I love how much you care about your friends.  You go above and beyond what most people would do for their friends, yet you ask for nothing in return.

I love the way you fill my gaps.  Remember that line that Rocky says to Paulie about Adrian?  “I have gaps, she has gaps, together we fill gaps.”  You fill my gaps.

I love that so many of my interests are your interests.  Food, Music, David Letterman, Howard Stern, Baseball…shall I go on?

So Honey, always remember, even when I’m stupid, or don’t pick up after myself, or can barely tie my shoe laces, that I thank the Lord every day that you came into my life...

...Even if you do think the Kinks are better than the Beatles…

Love,

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Genuinely sweet and loving, right from the heart. Perfect. Keep on loving each other and laughing---and you will live forever!

    ReplyDelete