Follow me on Twitter

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sometimes, Things Aren't As They Appear To Be


A couple of years ago, Morgan Spurlock did a series of television shows called “The 50 Documentaries To See Before You Die.”  Well, being a documentary freak, and not wanting to die without seeing these, I decided to watch all of them.  (Well…except for two.  But that’s another blog.)  Luckily, Cathy thought many of them sounded pretty good, so she decided to watch them with me.

There have been a couple of clunkers here and there, but mostly they have been interesting and entertaining.  One of the best was a film called “Catfish.”  For those of you unfamiliar with the film, it is about a young man who, through a series of circumstances, falls in love with a woman who he corresponds with on the Internet.  When he finally meets her, it turns out that she is not who she appeared to be.  The film ended up being so popular, MTV created a show around people in similar situations.

This type of thing can take place in many shapes and forms, including food.  For instance, remember the first time you saw a Big Mac on TV?  Whether or not you’ve ever tried one is not what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about the very first time you saw a Big Mac on TV.  It probably looked something like this:



Seriously, that looks kind of yummy to me. 

But have you ever seen one?  It actually looks like this:



Seriously, that looks un-yummy to me.

Which brings me to Katz donuts.

When I first started this blog, I wrote a piece praising the Katz donuts.  I seriously liked just about everything they had to offer, and they had the first donut that tasted like a donut.  But somewhere along the line, something went wrong.

Quite honestly, I have been off of their products for a while.  Their Challah bread is still quite good, but I think in an effort to expand their line, they have forgotten about quality.  For instance, I used to love their pizza crusts.  Not anymore.  They just don’t taste very good to me.

But a couple of weeks ago, I was really in the mood for a donut.  Now, I have to tell you, over the last few years, I have lost 40 pounds, and have kept the weight off for 16 months now.  I intend on writing about how I did this, but essentially, I eat really healthy Sunday though Friday, and then I indulge myself on Saturday.  So I figured, “What the heck, I’ll treat myself to donuts on Saturday.”  Cathy went on line and ordered some donuts from Katz.

Look, I don’t consider myself “Gluten Free Superman.”  I don’t consider myself the gluten free police.  Perhaps that’s because I am gluten sensitive rather than being Celiac.  Obviously, they have to be super careful, and I get that.  It’s just not my way.  I try to follow the Gluten Free Dougie rule:  Educate yourself as much as possible, and try to help educate others along the way.

So that being the case, I’m sure those of you reading this want me to tell you the truth.  At least, the truth as I see it.  So let me show you.  Here is the box for their gluten free chocolate frosted donuts:




Seriously, that looks yummy to me.

But here’s what I got:




That doesn’t look like what I ordered.  But it is what I got.  Their glazed donuts didn’t look much better.

Okay, whatever - what about the taste?

Dry.  In fact, so dry, I could barely get it down, even while drinking coffee.  I can almost hear Gordon Ramsey describing these just before he kicked Katz off Master Chef:  “It’s dry…my God.  The chocolate is all over the place, and it’s so dry, it’s like you forgot to add one bit of moisture to the mixture…shame.”  I shudder to think what Joe would have said.

I really hate to say anything bad about anyone who creates food for the gluten free community.  But the truth is, except for their Challah bread, I can no longer recommend Katz.




2 comments:

  1. It's no surprise that the donut in the box doesn't look like the one on the package...but WOW...this is extreme. I would go so far as to say that this is definitely the wrong product in the box---which poses a bigger issue than just the aesthetic: Mislabeling.
    On the subject, food companies go to great lengths by using food stylists at photo shoots to make food look beautiful for their packages. Tricks like spraying hamburgers and other food items with varnish to make it look "juicy" have long been common practice. It's all part of the game to provide taste appeal to your eyes--the gateway to your stomach! I say if you're going to "cheat" on your diet/eating regimen, you would be better off to bake something yourself like a gluten free chocolate cake and DON'T skimp on the butter, etc (*I know you like to use butter substitutes which drive me a little nuts). It will always taste better than packaged stuff...and with your care and developing plating skills, it will also be a feast for your eyes!
    Keep away from disappointing snacks and instead, Keep on cooking (or baking!)....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Big Mac picture had me remembering how I want to go to Finland some day as they have GF Big Macs-really!

    check out my gf csa blog - central MA

    www.kaledcsa.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete