Follow me on Twitter

Saturday, April 7, 2012

mmmmmmm.......doughnuts.....


Recently, I read something that said people who are gluten free usually tend to miss one of two breakfast/snacky types of food.  One is Pop-Tarts.  The other is doughnuts.  I have to agree with them.  Every time I go to the store, I say to my wife, “I wish Kellogg’s would make gluten free Pop-Tarts.  And every time my wife wants doughnuts, she wants them from a fairly well known bakery in East Boston called Betty Ann Food Shop.  And every time she wanted them the past, I would paint a smile on my face but be completely envious.

I mean, what is a gluten free doughnut lover to do?  There are recipes out there, but usually, this is a spur of the moment kind of thing, and unfortunately, no bakery near me makes gluten free doughnuts. 

Kinnikinnick makes doughnuts…kind of.  Listen, Kinnikinnick makes some really good products.  Lots of people like their doughnuts.  They just don’t do anything for me.

But I found a doughnut that helps the doughnut craving.  It isn’t a glazed type of doughnut like you’d get at Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme.  It is like the Hostess or Entenmann’s powdered doughnuts we all grew up with.

The company is called Katz.  I will be writing a lot about them because I happen to like many of their products. 

They come six to a package.  As you can see from the picture, they are basically around the size of an Entenmann’s powdered doughnut.  You do keep them in the freezer…I usually give them a quick defrost on high for 15 seconds.




To me, they taste just like I remembered a powered doughnut should taste.  The powdered sugar gives some sweetness, and the cake is soft and delicious.





So, while I still hold out hope that one day Dunkin Donuts will make a gluten free glazed doughnut, I will gladly eat my Katz doughnuts and smile while I wipe the powdered sugar that’s on my hands onto my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment