Follow me on Twitter

Saturday, March 24, 2012

I Love These Whoopie Pies


I can’t speak for anyone else, but when I found out I had to become gluten free, I immediately wanted to eat things I never cared to try in the past.  Corn dogs for instance.  I had never wanted a corn dog before.  I mean, who would want to eat a hot dog surrounded by corn bread on a stick?   But all of a sudden, I craved them.

The same could be said for chocolate whoopie pies.  Never had one, never wanted one.  They seemed way too much like Devil Dogs, and I was never a big fan.

So one day a few years ago, when I was walking through My Low Carb Life, I saw gluten free whoopie pies, and I immediately had to have one.  Since then, I’ve had my share of good gluten free whoopie pies, and not so good gluten free whoopie pies. 

Today, I tried a chocolate whoopie pie made by a company started by two sisters from Stoneham called Something Sweet Without Wheat.  According to their website, they started in August 2010, and became successful enough to have to move their business from their kitchens to a commercial bakery in Woburn.  Now their products are sold in over 16 locations, including Market Basket, which carries their cookies.  So I bought some and anxiously waited for Saturday to try them. (I diet the other 6 days…another story.)

Cream filling is cream filling, y’know?  Not much you can do with it, except make it way too sweet.  Not the case here.  However, in my opinion, what makes these chocolate whoopee pies stand out from others I’ve tried is their cake.  The chocolate cake has flavor... a dark chocolate taste.  In addition, the cake didn’t crumble as some of them tend to do.  Their cake stayed together and was pretty moist.

I’ve heard a lot about Something Sweet Without Wheat, and I’m glad I finally had the chance to try one of their products.  I can’t wait to try more of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment